On today’s show we’re going to be diving into a traffic strategy that I’ve never covered here on the podcast, with John Lee Dumas of Entrepreneurs on Fire. For those of you who have a very clear understanding of your target audience, an offer that attracts that audience and a funnel that converts, podcast sponsorships may be something that you want to explore.
At the time that this interview was recorded in late 2018, John had published over 2,060 episodes in the almost 6 years he’s been doing his podcast. He’s literally made millions of dollars through podcast sponsorships, so needless to say, he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to this topic.
In this episode I’ve asked John to share his insights from the perspective of both a business that wants to sponsor a podcast, as well as a podcaster looking to create revenue by offering sponsorship opportunities to businesses.
John shares his step-by-step guide for finding a podcast to sponsor, or how to get the right sponsors onboard for your show if you host one.
You’ll learn who podcast sponsorship is for, and isn’t for, cost estimates for podcast sponsorships, the key metrics to look at when you’re considering sponsoring a show, and a whole lot more.
I know I learned so much from what John had to share here, and even if you thought that podcast sponsorships were out of reach for you, you’ll hear practical advice for how to take advantage of the tremendous opportunities available, right now.
Before we start the show, I’ve got something to ask. How do you listen to this podcast? Is it in the iTunes app, Stitcher, Spotify or maybe iHeart Radio? Do you listen to it at regular speed, or maybe like me you listen to your podcasts at 1.5X speed? I want to know! Take a screenshot of you tuning in to The Art of Paid Traffic, and include it on your Instagram Story, while tagging me, @RickMulready!
Want to win a 30-minute strategy session with me? I’ll be drawing one winner at random each month, and all you have to do is give me your feedback on this podcast over at http://rickmulready.com/messenger, telling me what you’d like to hear more of - including topics you’d like to see covered, guests, style and frequency of the show!
• John’s own background and experiences with podcast sponsorships and why he believes so much in it
• Why sponsoring your own show has many benefits for podcast hosts
• Powerful strategies for appearing on your favorite shows as a guest
• How to screen potential guests as podcast host and maximize revenue from their appearances
• The different ad placements available for podcast sponsors and typical costs
• What the CPM model is and why John feels it doesn’t work for most podcasters
• His alternatives to the CMP model, including easy ways to set up affiliates if you have a podcast
• What the negotiations between podcasters and sponsors looks like